Swayam – An online learning programme by Government of India
Education is the most wonderful weapon to change the World. Even during a global pandemic, it should not be stopped. It’s actually not going to be! Thanks to technology! Thanks to online classes! Online medium helps facilitate your learning keeping the social distancing factor in mind.
Considering the growing importance of online classes, the Government of India is proud to initiate an online programme – “SWAYAM” that aims at the three cardinal principles of Education Policy – Access, Equity and Quality. The initiative helps digitalize the education system and reach remote areas. This portal is launched to offer education to all the students who remain untouched by education. It provides free online courses and thirty-two Swayam DTH channels across Nation.
Objectives of SWAYAM:
- Optimize the best teaching and learning resources for all, most importantly for the disadvantaged.
- Seeks to bridge the digital divide for the students who haven’t harnessed the digital revolution yet.
- Support the students who haven’t been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
What encompasses SWAMAYAM?
SWAYAM hosts all the courses and subjects taught in the classroom from Class 9 till post-graduation. It can be easily accessed by anyone, anywhere at any time. These courses are interactive and are prepared by the best teachers in the country. They are absolutely free of cost to any learner. The quality of this programme is definitely high as it includes more than a thousand specially chosen teachers across the country.
How does the platform work?
The courses hosted on SWAYAM are available in 4 quadrants:
(1) Video lectures
(2) Self-assessment tests through quizzes and tests
(3) In-depth reading material that can be easily downloaded/printed
(4) An online discussion forum is also there to clarify doubts. A lot of steps have been undertaken for enhancing the learning experience via audio-video and multi-media and state-of-the-art pedagogy/technology.
- Weekly assignments: The panel of teachers sends weekly assignments to the students to track progress in a timely manner.
- Best-in-class instructors: Swayam teachers are highly qualified and possess a great experience in teaching. They opt for simpler techniques to explain the concepts in a clear manner.
- Easy credit transfer: Here at the Swayam platform, students can complement their academic program by harnessing credit transfer advantages.
- Proctored exam: Proctored exam proctoring offers give freedom to the students and test takers to take a proctored exam where and when they want. It’s a fair mode of examination and helps people to catch every instance of cheating.
- Active local chapters: Swayam platform helps enhance the effectiveness of (Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs).
- Systematic approach: We help you achieve desired learning goals through a systematic approach.
The courses available in various streams like:
- Computer Science
- Health & Medicine
- Data Science
- Social Science
- Education & Training
- Art & Design
- Personal Development
1. Diploma programmes: Animation, Agriculture policies, Pedagogy of Science, Financial Accounting, Academic Writing, Communication Skills, Business Ethics, Business Statistics, Business Research and many more.
2. Undergraduate programmes: Aerospace engineering, Civil engineering, Computer Science engineering, Chemical engineering, Electrical engineering, Bachelor in Sociology, Bachelor in Food Nutrition, Bachelor in Psychology, Bachelor in Economics etc.
3. Postgraduate programmes: Master’s in Business Administration, Master’s in English, Master’s in Russia, Master’s in Biochemistry, Master’s in Finance, Master’s in Biology, Master’s in History, Master’s in Geography etc.
- AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) for self-paced and international courses
- UGC (University Grants Commission) for nontechnical post-graduation education
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) for Engineering
- NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) for college education
- CEC (Consortium for Educational Communication) for undergraduate education
- IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) for out-of-school students
- NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) for college education
- NITTTR (National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research) for Teacher educational program
- IIMB (Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore) for management studies
Log on to www.swayam.gov.in, and register yourself to gain or enhance knowledge regarding any particular subject. Make the most of high-quality e-content. All colleges, universities and students can access the content free of cost through this portal.
SWAYAM Mobile App
Registered candidates can also access all the courses available on Swayam by downloading the mobile app. It’s available at the Google play store for Android mobile phones.