IIT preparatory course- IIT runs preparatory courses for SC, ST and PwD candidates, the duration of the course is one year. In case the seats reserved for SC, ST and PwD candidates are not filled completely, a limited number of candidates are admitted to a preparatory course of one-year duration on the basis of further relaxation of admission criteria.
The Preparatory Course is a preliminary educational program that must be completed successfully prior to admission into degree programs.
It is important to note that the Preparatory Course is not a component of any regular degree program offered at IIT. Admission into degree programs is contingent upon the successful completion of the Preparatory Course. The goal is to bolster the foundational knowledge of students in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English. This will equip them with the necessary skills to effectively handle degree programs. The Preparatory Course is only available once, and completion of the course is required in order to move forward. Failure to pass the course will result in ineligibility for future attempts. Upon successful completion of the Preparatory Course, the designated IIT must be the institution of choice for pursuing the degree.
IIT Preparatory Admission Guideline
(i) The seats reserved for the respective category are vacant,
(ii) candidates satisfy the norms for preparatory courses, and
(iii) the candidate has NOT accepted an offer of admission to the preparatory course earlier.
3. On successful completion of the course, the students will be offered direct admission to the Academic Year to the already allocated undergraduate course in the institute they are allotted a seat through JoSAA.
4. Candidates admitted to the preparatory course are also eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced) subject to fulfilling other eligibility criteria.
5. Filling-in of choices for preparatory courses is also through the same online portal and during the same schedule.
6. The institute at which a one-year preparatory course is run for a candidate may be different from the institute allocated to the candidate for their academic program. The list of institutes where preparatory courses will be run for the academic year 2023-24 will be available on the JoSAA website.
Preparatory Course Structure:
i. Four courses which prepare you for getting into the regular degree programme of IIT. a. Physics b. Chemistry c. Mathematics d. English
ii. Each of the above-listed courses is for 2 semesters (Autumn – November to March and Spring – March to July). Please refer Academic calendar for detailed information
Qualifying Criteria for IIT Preparatory Course:
1. Minimum qualifying marks is 40% for each of the following courses: Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The marks are aggregated over the two semesters. The former two courses will also have Lab components which are given “Pass” and “Not Pass” grades and you need to obtain the pass grades in lab courses so as to pass the Preparatory Course.
2. For English minimum qualifying marks are 30% per semester.
3. For students failing only in one subject, grace marks up to 5 % are given.
4. Evaluation will be based on Homework, Assignments, Class Participation, Quizzes, Mid Semester and End Semester Examinations. The weightage of each of these components will be informed by the Instructors.
5. 100% attendance is mandatory, except in case of medical or other emergencies. However, under no conditions, the attendance should be less than 80%.
6. No re-exam is given, except on medical grounds.
7. No Degree / Diploma certificate is issued after successful completion of the Preparatory Course.
1. Tuition fees are waived for all preparatory course students.
2. For those SC/ST/PwD students whose parental (Father and Mother) income is not more than 5 Lakhs can apply for the following scholarship: a. Facilities of free messing:
⮚ Free messing (only basic menu)- only in case of staying in a hostel.
⮚ Exemption from payment of hostel room rent- only in case of staying in the hostel.
⮚ Pocket allowance (Rs. 500/- pm)
Taking a preparatory course from the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) can provide numerous benefits for students preparing to pursue a BTech or Dual degree program. One of the primary advantages of such a course is that it offers a comprehensive review of key concepts and topics in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM). The preparatory course is a one-year residential program that prepares students to be eligible for the BTech or Dual degree program. This review of essential concepts and topics can help students build a strong foundation and increase their chances of success in the rigorous IIT curriculum.
Another benefit of taking a preparatory course from IIT is that it exposes students to different question patterns and difficulty levels. The IIT entrance exam is known for its challenging questions, and the preparatory course can help students become familiar with the types of questions they will encounter on the exam. This exposure to different question patterns and difficulty levels can help students develop critical thinking skills and improve their problem-solving abilities.
Access to experienced and qualified instructors is another significant benefit of taking a preparatory course from IIT. The instructors at IIT are highly qualified and experienced in their respective fields, and they can provide students with valuable insights and guidance throughout the course.
This personalized attention and support can help students better understand complex concepts and improve their overall performance. Additionally, the preparatory course can help students develop a love for academics and not treat the IIT entrance exam as simply a competition where one needs to win by hook or crook. Overall, taking a preparatory course from IIT can provide students with a solid foundation, exposure to different question patterns, and access to experienced instructors, all of which can increase their chances of success in the IIT entrance exam and beyond